Pages

Thursday, May 24, 2007

distractions

Re-reading:
Dennis Lehane: prayers for rain
Trying to go from front to back:
The Iliad, translated by Robert Fitzgerald
The Children of Hurin, by Tolkien & son
Dreaming in Code, by Scott Rosenberg
The Ultimate Hitchhiker’s Guide, by Douglas Adams (5 volumes in One Joyous Binding of Bounteousness)
The Quiet American, by Graham Green (because I just finished The Power and the Glory, and loved it)
To The Lighthouse, Virginia Woolf

Reading in small servings
Poetry and spiritual stuff:
Caravan of Dreams, Idries Shah
Selected Poetry, W.B. Yeats
The Miracle of Mindfulness, Thich Nhat Hanh
The Shorter OED, - I read a page at a time, from time to time. Then I can find a lovely word with the joy of a botanist finding a new species.

I’m tempted to look for patterns. First, there’s a lot more fiction than non-fiction. Next, a sprinkling of spirituality, shown in Shah and Hanh. Hey, imagine a law firm named Shah and Hanh-it’d be perfect for SoCal. Shah and Hanh, lawyers for the stars, celebrity lawyers who employ their colorful ethnic traditions of rhetoric and persuasion while wearing tailor made designer suits.

Oh, I guess I went off track. I’d be the Supreme Ruler of Tangents, except that I don’t have the focus to be Supreme Ruler of anything. I mean, the Grand Vizier could come up to me, the Supreme Ruler of Tangents, and say, “Hey, this book is great. Have you read it?”
I’d say “No”, and grab the book, and read in joyous oblivion to the present, and next thing you know there’d be a palace coup, so I’d be exiled. No executions, because one of my litmus tests for viziers and other officials is firm opposition to the death penalty. No matter, as long as there’s plenty to read in exile. I’ll stay the zigzag course, even if it looks like flip-flopping.

In exile, who knows? I might even read a book a friend gave me, entitled Delivered from Distraction. Then again, maybe not. I'm hoping for an enormous library in exile.
Do I need to be delivered from distraction?
If I was delivered from distraction, I might get my act together, return from exile and stage a palace re-coup, and that would be distressing to the new Supreme Ruler of Tangents, the ex-vizier.

I like having the question, “What next?” having the unknown as an answer in my life of books।

ब्य थे वय, सोमेहोव थिस ब्लोग इस देतेर्मिनेद तो प्रिंट इन हिंदी। ई वोंदेर हाउ ई दीद ठाट।
By the way, my blog is determined to print in Hindi. I have no idea why, but I left you a sample. It looks kind of interesting.

No comments: